PDA

Ver la versión completa : Inquest: Delayed rescue killed Red Sea scuba diver

SENSACIONES
6th December 2008, 08:46
Delays in getting a Northamptonshire woman out of the Red Sea after she encountered difficulties on a scuba dive caused her death, an inquest heard.
Penelope Turland, 53, from Towcester, went to Hurghada, in Egypt, with her partner, Antonio Nanci, in April on her first diving holiday.
She had previously taken up scuba diving as a hobby and had taken a diving course.
A check was done on the weather before the couple made their dive, because of uncertainty over the conditions, but it was deemed acceptable and the group set off to explore the Giannis D wreck.
At an inquest, held at Northampton General Hospital yesterday, Mr Nanci said of the dive: "She was looking forward to it."
Ms Turland, Mr Nanci and two other divers spent 20 minutes underwater, exploring the wreck, then began to make their way back to the surface.
On the way up, Ms Turland got into difficulty making a safety stop 3m beneath the surface and the group had to battle a strong current.
Mr Nanci said: "We were on the surface for 45 minutes and there was no sign of a boat.
"I gave the distress signal. Making our way back had been a hard swim, so I gave the distress signal again.
"I couldn't see a reply. From where I was, I couldn't actually see any help. Penny was really getting into difficulty and had to be helped. My air level was low and hers too.

He said that eventually "someone threw us a rope, but it was about 50m too short. I'm a strong swimmer and I found it difficult."
He added that "a couple of times" Ms Turland lost her grip on the rope and had to be helped back to it.
Mr Nanci said: "We were hanging on the rope and being pulled in and I realised she wasn't moving.
"The reason she lost her life was not due to the dive, but because of the delay in getting her out of the water."
Coroner Anne Pember recorded a verdict of accidental death.